- Sage revealed as naming partner for the NewcastleGateshead Quays development with £10m investment.
- Partnership will play a crucial role in delivering a pioneering community-focused, state of the art arena (Sage Arena), exhibition and conference centre (Sage ICC), showcasing the best of the region to a global audience.
- £300m+ development will provide a £70m annual boost to the local economy and create 2,000 jobs.
- Local small and mid-sized businesses (SMBs) and Sage customers to contribute to development and operation of the site and benefit from working spaces, priority access and promotional opportunities.
Today (27th January 2022), Sage, the leader in accounting, financial, HR and payroll technology for small and mid-sized businesses, today announced that it is the naming partner for the transformational NewcastleGateshead Quays arena and conference centre development. The Sage will be operated by ASM Global, the world’s leading venue management and services company.
- The supply chain – Giving priority to local suppliers and contractors, where possible, so that The Sage is built by the North East for the North East.
- Recruitment and skilling up – by partnering with local education institutions, the development will promote and inspire the next generation of entrepreneurs by offering work experience opportunities that lead to sustainable employment.
- Access for all – The Sage will support local businesses with workspace options and opportunities to showcase their products and services to a global audience. The Sage ‘green access’ pass will ensure members of the local community have a chance to attend events, who wouldn’t usually be able to.
Founded in a pub in Newcastle 40 years ago by graduates from Newcastle University, Sage has grown to become one of the UK’s biggest tech companies, with operations and customers around the world. These customers benefit from being part of a network that connects them with expert advice and guidance, and the company plans for The Sage to play a pivotal role in connecting the local business community.
Sage Group most recently confirmed its commitment to the North East by opening a new £20m global headquarters at the Cobalt Business Park in North Tyneside. The new HQ was the single biggest office refit seen in the region, in which Sage employed contractors from 25 small and medium businesses, many of which were local.
Steve Hare, CEO, Sage Group, said:
“Sage’s heart has always been in the North East, and today’s announcement embodies our purpose – to knock down barriers so everyone can thrive. The Sage brings the world to the North East’s front door, providing a platform to celebrate the region’s brilliance.
“We are committed to making sure that The Sage is an inclusive venue by giving access to all, no matter their background. We believe it will unlock the huge potential the North East has, attracting greater investment and innovation.”
Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng MP:
“This fantastic investment from Sage is Levelling Up in action. It is a prime example of the role businesses can play in boosting the job prospects and livelihoods of those living in their local communities. The new development will fire up the North East’s economic engines, acting as a catalyst for global investment and further job creation.”
Councillor Martin Gannon, leader of Gateshead Council:
“The Sage is a great example of our aspirations for Gateshead and the wider region. The project creates jobs, as well as training, education and supply chain opportunities, and will attract millions more visitors to the North East. The Sage will showcase regional strengths to a global audience and maximise opportunities for inward investment and repeat tourism.
“The Council is proud to be leading on this development and delighted to have Sage, a home grown, global business join the project as our naming partner.”
The Sage operator, ASM Global, has a UK portfolio which includes the Utilita Arena, Newcastle, the AO Arena in Manchester, the first direct arena in Leeds and The SSE Arena, Wembley.
Tom Lynch, Senior Vice President, Europe for ASM Global:
“This ambitious and transformational development will create a genuinely unique events campus with an iconic waterfront location, so it is fantastic to be teaming up with an equally iconic North East brand in the form of Sage.
“ASM Global has enjoyed over 25 years of success in the North East and we look forward to joining forces with Sage to take live entertainment, conventions and exhibitions to new heights, and cement the region’s reputation as a sought-after business, leisure and cultural destination.”
Abigail Pogson, Managing Director, Sage Gateshead:
“Following the completion of the new development, Gateshead Quayside will be a unique destination in Europe, with cultural, entertainment, business, retail and hospitality all in this iconic location overlooking the Tyne. From our long association we know Sage to be a fantastic partner and welcome their further investment in the development and the region.”
Sarah Munro, Director, BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art:
“Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art opened in 2002 and has been serving communities from its building on the quayside and across the region for 20 years, building a national and international reputation. It is fantastic to now be seeing the completion of the Gateshead Quayside with the new development. The investment from Sage is a welcome endorsement of the new development and our region.”
Throughout the construction phase and beyond, Sage will work closely with NewcastleGateshead Initiative (NGI) to engage and collaborate with strategic partners and stakeholders to ensure this investment builds on the region’s strengths and global reputation as a place to visit, invest and host major world-class events.